The science behind facial acupuncture
Unique benefits occur when the human body is stimulated by needles. When needles enter your skin, they essentially create little ‘microtraumas’, which ignites the body to respond and go into a natural repair mode.
Although the word may sound a bit scary, microtraumas create a cascade of benefits by stimulating your lymphatic and circulatory systems—systems your body uses to to deliver nutrients and oxygen to your cells. This is one of the reasons why acupuncture works so well for the body, and why it works so well for your face.
When needles are applied to the face, the microtraumas stimulate circulation, allowing more nutrients access to the skin and facial muscles, including stimulating your body to produce collagen. As a result, it smooths fine lines and wrinkles, lifts sagging skin, evens out your complexion, and gives you that healthy glow. The best part, it’s your own body “doing the work”, nothing is being introduced to your skin.
Why facial acupuncture?
Facial acupuncture is very popular in my home country, Japan. But here in New Zealand, especially Central Otago, we could really experience the benefits of this practice. Skin dryness is the fundamental cause of many skin problems, and seeing that Central Otago is a very dry environment, we could all use a bit more nourishment and hydration to our skin.
What are the aesthetic benefits of facial acupuncture?
- Improved elasticity
- Reduction of fine lines and wrinkles
- Brighter complexion
- Lifting effects of sagging skin
- Minimised pores
- Reduced puffiness and facial swelling
- Reduced tension in the facial muscles, including jaw tension
- Improvements to the bags under the eyes
In addition to the aesthetic benefits, facial acupuncture is also known to improve the sinuses, reduce headaches and migraines, relieve dry eyes, improve acne, and reduce pain (i.e. jaw pain, referred toothaches, earache, etc.). Essentially, any other symptoms you may be experiencing that are caused by poor circulation, a stagnant lymphatic system, or muscle tension.
How quickly will I see results?
Each person responds to acupuncture differently, as it is stimulating your own body’s natural responses. However, many patients have self-reported feelings of ‘skin tightening’ and ‘brightness’ in just one session. Research has shown the majority of people saw improvements in just 5 sessions.
Ideally, I would recommend starting with a “stimulation phase” and then moving to a “maintenance phase”.
Stimulation phase: 1 visit per week for 3 weeks
Maintenance phase: 1 visit per month (For women, after a monthly cycle, for men, any time monthly)
What does a facial acupuncture appointment entail?
- The appointment starts by applying needles to your neck, back and shoulders, areas that commonly hold tension, to re-set and relax you
- Next is a gentle, deep exfoliation of the facial skin and décolletage area (using the ageLOC® LumiSpaTM) to loosen dead skin cells and clear pores
- Needles are then applied to the face and neck (~20), as well as other parts of the body (most commonly the hands and feet), to stimulate the circulatory and lymphatic systems
- Once the needles are removed, a biocellulose hydration mask (ageLOC® Galvanic PowerMask) is applied to the skin for deep hydration
- A microcurrent device (ageLOC® Galvanic Spa®) is used over the mask to stimulate the contraction and smoothing of facial muscles, while also adding the hydration from the mask deep into the skin
- A gentle massage of the facial and décolletage area using Gua sha (an ancient Chinese practice used for energy flow and circulation) to encourage lymphatic drainage from the treatment area
You will leave feeling rejuvenated, lifted and relaxed. The appointment lasts an hour.
Exact procedures during the appointment may vary depending on the initial assessment conducted on the day.
What products do I use during your facial and why did I choose these?
The aesthetics market is flooded with numerous lotions, potions and devices all claiming to give amazing results. So, I’ve taken the time to find and test the products that I use to ensure that I can provide real results. Here are just a few:
ageLOC® LumiSpaTM, designed by scientists and dermatologists
The ageLOC® LumiSpaTM is an award-winning beauty device that not only gently exfoliates, but also softens fine lines and wrinkles.
How can the ageLOC® LumiSpaTM benefit your skin?
- Removes dead skin cells, adding to natural skin brightness and evening of complexion
- Gently exfoliates to reduce the appearance of pores, while still retaining the skin’s natural moisture
ageLOC® Galvanic Spa®, the ‘non-surgical face lift’
The ageLOC® Galvanic Spa® uses low-level electric current to help introduce key nutrients into the deeper layers of skin. The benefits of ageLOC® Galvanic Spa® can be felt instantly, and only improve when used consistently.
How can the ageLOC® Galvanic Spa® benefit your skin?
- Provides facial toning, which improves facial contours
- Initiates a lifting effecting that improve skin elasticity and tightening
ageLOC® Galvanic PowerMask, a surge of refreshing hydration
When used with the ageLOC® Galvanic Spa®, this mask delivers powerful hydration to the skin
How can the ageLOC® Galvanic PowerMask benefit your skin?
- Increases skin radiance
- Supports softer, smoother-looking skin
- Nourishes and hydrates tired-looking skin
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles